Saturday, June 13, 2015

brain biology

One of the positive side effects of OCD is planning ahead for just about every single situation. So you shouldn't be surprised to learn that I've already started reading parenting books. I mean, it's never too soon to get some strategies and ideas. Our adoption counselor recommended Daniel Siegel & Tina Bryson's The Whole Brain Child as a resource for our preparations, and I was on board from the start. It met my needs for nerdiness and preparing to be the best parent I can be for our #babydoop.
Their work focuses on the science behind our brains and how to integrate the parts of the brain (left and right, upstairs and downstairs, etc) into a cohesive whole. While you might think this would read like a biology textbook, it doesn't at all. I was able to read it in a day and half that were interspersed with driving and visiting with family and friends in my hometown, so it's not excruciating at all. Siegel ad Bryson write in easy-to-read language and present 12 easy strategies for you to use with your child to encourage a healthy brain and healthier child, teen, or young adult. One of the best aspects of this book is that it has scripted conversation starters you can use with your child to use the strategies, broken down by age category. There is even an accompanying workbook with worksheets and exercises that you can find here. I highly recommend this if you're struggling with how to handle the arguing, the emotional outbursts, the general weariness of parenthood; I guarantee you will find something you can apply to your life with your child this week. It is a book that I have already planned on purchasing for the #babydoop library.

4 (of 4) dusty book jackets.

No comments:

Post a Comment