Tuesday, July 14, 2015

run the race

Ron Clark, of the Atlanta-based prep school baring his name, has long been education's "it" boy. He just seems to get the mission of education and gives 100% every day. If I had $800 to spare, I would attend his educator training in a heartbeat. He teaches with passion, creativity, and vigor, and he is a true inspiration; all of his books that I have read have been phenomenal. His newest read, Move Your Bus, offers some great advice for anyone looking to bring about change in an organization. While MYB is directed more at the business world, there are things that educators can take away from the book.
According to Clark, every business, school, non-profit organization, etc. contains people who fall into one of 5 categories: Drivers, Runners, Joggers, Walkers, and Riders. The Driver is the leader, the Runner is the go-getter who gives 100% all of the time, the Jogger moves quickly and does a good job (but not extraordinary work) regularly, the Walker may occasionally have one burst of goodness during the year, and the Rider is just showing up to work. I think we all know coworkers who fit into each category, and sometimes it can be frustrating to see the way the Driver handles them. The great part about this book is that Clark gives tips to the leaders of an organization (how to handle Riders, how much energy to focus on Runners, etc.) as well as the other people on the bus (how to run every day, how to handle those who aren't giving their best effort). He also makes you search deep into yourself and figure out what bus member you are. As much as I wish (as I hope all teachers do) I were a Runner, I don't think that's the reality of my situation. It turns out I'm a Jogger (the irony of my current running pace isn't lost on me either) - attentive to detail, prompt, well-planned and dressed, but not knock-your-socks off. My mission this school year is to be a Runner - be the best version of myself I can be every single day. Plan engaging activities, go beyond what's expected, and give the students in my classroom my best every day. Because if I'm not giving my kids my best, I have truly failed for the day. Regardless of your profession, there is something you can take away from this quick read.

3.5 (of 4) dusty book covers.

No comments:

Post a Comment